Adathoda Vasica (Justicia adhatoda, Vasa patra)
Justicia adhatoda, Adulasa, Vasaka, Malabar Nut, Adhathodai, Vasa, Arusha.
Throughout India in plains and in sub-Himalayan tracts ascending upto 1,200 meters & distributed throughout Nepal, Srilanka, Pakistan, Malaysia, Indonesia, and China.
- Vasaka exemplifies 2 distinct tastes mainly Tikta (bitter) and Kashaya (astringent) Rasa.
- It has Laghu (light) and Rukhsha Guna (dry quality) and Shita Virya (cold potency).
- It characterizes Katu Vipaka (pungent taste after digestion) and mainly portrays rejuvenating property.
- The host of bioactive components in Vasaka help to pacify the Pitta and Kapha doshas.
Leaves The leaves, roots, flowers and stem bark of this plant are used in medicinal applications.
Vasa has a rich concentration of bioactive components like Vasicine, Luteolin, Carotene, Vasakin, other quinazoline alkaloids, and essential oils. The leaves are abundant in phytochemical constituents like tannins, saponins, alkaloids, flavonoids, and phenolics.
- It bolsters Immunity.
- Useful in Cold, Congested throat, Cough, Sinusitis, Bronchitis and Asthma.
- It promotes gut health and is powerful digestive stimulant, carminative and appetite-stimulant.
- Useful in Esophagitis, Dyspepsia, Heartburn, Diarrhoea, Flatulence, Peptic ulcer and Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- It also helps to eliminate abdominal gas and in turn reduces abdominal distension, bloating and gaseous cramps.
- It helps in skin diseases. A poultice of its leaves can be applied with beneficial results over fresh wounds, rheumatic joints and inflammatory swellings.
- Rich in anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and expectorant properties.
- It improves blood count, manages blood pressure and hence prevents a host of heart rhythm disorders. The presence of anti-coagulant and anti-fibrinolytic properties also prevents blockage and formation of clots in the arteries causing heart block. It Purifies Blood
- Vasaka leaves have anti-ulcer properties. It helps in reducing ulcers and sores in various parts of the body. It also helps in treating bleeding disorders and offers a potent remedy for peptic and duodenal ulcers.
- Vasaka offers extensive relief from pain and inflammation in case of arthritis and joint pain because of strong analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and pain-relieving properties of the bio-active components.
- It is also used to treat painful muscle spasms, sore muscles, arthritic conditions, and other inflammatory situations and gout.
- Also used to treat painful muscle spasms, sore muscles, arthritic conditions and other inflammatory situations.
- Helps in treating Uremia
- Augments Skin Health because of anti-bacterial and antioxidant properties of the essential alkaloids in vasaka it plays a crucial role in treating skin infections like acne, warts, boils, eczema, blisters, itching etc.
1-3 grams (1-3 masha)