Ayurveda Guna (Physical Properties)
Home › Glossary Of Terms › Ayurveda Guna (Physical Properties)
Guna – (Physical properties)
- Drava (Fluidity): That pervades the entire body.
- Guru (Heaviness): Which can induce the feeking of heaviness, dullness and fatigue and increase the quality of waste products and also impairs digestive functions.
- Kathina (Hardness): Which causes stiffness and firmness of the body and excites Vata.
- Khara (roughness): Leads to emaciation, retards formation of waste products and aggravates Vata.
- Laghu (Lightener): Which leads to lightness (finness) of the body and help in digestion.
- Manda (Dullness): Acts slowly and pacifies deranged dosha
- Mridu (Softness): Means soft and loose on touch in relation to body tissues, stimulates Kapha and depress Vata nad Pitta.
- Picchila (Sliminess): Makes the object slimy, increases body weight, promotes fracture and wound healing and stimulates excretory system.
- Ruksha (Rough, Dryness): Which induces uncomfortable feeling in the body, acts against Kapha but promotes Vata, reduces vigour, virility and libido.
- Sandra (Solidity): Which nourishes the body.
- Sara (Mobility): Which stimulates excretory system.
- Sheeta (Cold): Which produces cooling effect, promotes Vata and Kapha but acts against Pitta, impedes blood flow and reduces syncope.
- Shlakshana (Smoothness): Promotes tissue synthesis, increases Kapha and Pitta and stimulates formation of excretory products.
- Snigdha (Slimy, Unctutous): Which produces soothing effect of the body, acts against Vata and promotes Kapha and eliminates waste products.
- Sthira (Immobility): Which renders the physiological functions normal and regular.
- Sthoola (Bulkness): Not easily digestible, obstructs vessels, tubes and channels of the body.
- Sukshma (Minuteness): Which penetrates through all parts of the body and stimulates Vata.
- Tikshna (Sharpness): Sharp, highly potent, removes morbidity, promotes Pitta and works against Vata and Kapha
- Ushna (Hot): Which increases body temperature, induces thirst, promotes Pitta but acts against Vata and Kapha, improves blood circulation, increases the amount of urine, excreta and sweat, stimulates appetite and digestive functions.
- Vishada (Clarity): Which removes sliminess, promotes Vata and heals ulcers.