Ocimum Sanctum, Ocimum tenuiflorum
Vishnu-priya, Divya, Bharati, Krishnamul, Holy Basil, Jiyuli, Tulasi, Krushna tulasi, Shiva tulasi
Habitat: Tulasi, more commonly known as the holy basil, is a perennial species of plant. This plant is native to the Indian subcontinent, where it generally thrives in the Himalaya’s temperate climate (around 2,000 meters above sea level) as well as it does in the tropical forests of Southern India and Sri Lanka and Southeast Asia.
Tulasi (Ocimum sanctum) is a medicinal herb used in Ayurveda . Tulasi is considered an adaptogenic herb, meaning it can help adapt the body to stress and boost energy. In alternative medicine, tulasi is typically used for anxiety, stress, and fatigue, and may be used in herbal formulations to help treat Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds,and Flu.
Elements Applied: The parts of tulasi that are medicinally useful include the leaves, flowers, seeds, stems and dried roots.
Stomachic (promotes hunger or appetite), expectorant, Good anti-oxidant, Mucilaginous, Demulcent, Antiperiodic, Febrifuge, Fragrant, Aromatic.
Tulasi contains a number of beneficial compounds including:
1. Eugenol: A terpene with pain-relieving properties.
2. Oleanolic acid, Ursolic and rosmarinic acid: Compounds with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-aging properties.
3. Apigenin: A flavonoid that helps the body removes waste at the cellular level.
4. Lutein: An antioxidant carotenoid important for eye health.
5. Ocimumosides A and B: Compounds that reduce stress and balance the neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine.
6. β-caryophyllene, β-elemene, carvacrol and linalool.
- Tulasi Combats Respiratory Ailments: Tulasi may relieve symptoms of asthma, bronchitis, colds, congestion, coughs, flu, sinusitis, sore throat, and similar ailments.To clear your sinuses, inhale the steam from a fresh cup of tea before you drink it.
- Lowers Blood Pressure and Reduces Stress: Regular consumption of tulasi may lower blood pressure and cholesterol by regulating cortisol levels, reducing the risk of stroke, heart attack, and other related diseases. It can also help relieve headaches and may lessen anxiety and depression for some.1 Regular consumption may lead to better sleep.
- Treats Gastrointestinal Disorders: Tulasi can be used to treat indigestion, intestinal parasites, ulcers, vomiting, gastric disorders, and stomach or menstrual cramps. It may also reduce pain from kidney stones and could help prevent them.2
- Relieves Arthritis: Tulasi tea may help reduce inflammation and relieve the joint pain associated with arthritis.1
- Regulates Blood Sugar: Drinking tulasi tea can help maintain stable blood sugar levels. It may also improve metabolism and promote the efficient processing of carbohydrates and fats.
- Antiseptic: Tulasi may kill damaging bacteria in the mouth, resulting in cleaner teeth and fresher breath. It can also alleviate acne, slow the effects of aging, and relieve the itch or sting of bug bites.
- Relieves Anxiety: As an adaptogen, research suggests tulasi may relieve anxiety and improve moods. Subjects also reported feeling lower levels of stress and depression relieves stress and improve cognitive functions like reaction time.
- Memory sharpener,
- In acute fevers, the temperature is lowered by the administration of decoction of leaves.
- Used as a gargle to treat a sore throat.
- Leaves, when chewed, relieve mouth ulcers and infections.
- Leaf extract is sufficient to treat skin disorders like ringworm etc.
- Dried leaf powder is used for brushing the teeth.
- For relief from diarrhea
- Tulasi helps in skin brightening, curing acne face marks.& skin infections and any sort of skin allergies.
- Tulasi can help prevent hair fall, reduce greying of the hair and keep it thick and black, reduce dandruff & prevent dry scalp.
- Tulasi is aids weight loss. It burn fat in a quick way without any side effects.& boosts your stamina.
- Tulasi tea controls your metabolism and helps your body absorb essential nutrients.
- Tulasi soothes the eyes. Tulasi leaves left in boiled water overnight can be used to wash your eyes. It will reduce strain on your eyes.
- Vitamin C & A and phytonutrients are essential oils that are found in Tulasi, which are used as excellent antioxidants that protect the body from premature ageing.
- Tulasi leaves help fight cancer and prevents it from attacking you. The best aid to stop smoking is by munching tulasi leaves and this help get the nicotine content off your body. It helps in the purification of blood. Every time you get the urge to smoke, chew Tulasi leaves.
5-7 masha (5-6 grams) per day